Thursday, November 20, 2003


November blog-a-thon continues...

Every now and then someone visits and emails me asking about "Cellar Door" and the reference from Donnie Darko. I always chastise them for having not yet seen it.

I don't know anyone my age who has seen this movie (I would call it a "movie", not a "film") and not been captivated by it. Most of my friends are awkward teenagers at heart, on the fringes of mainstream, and the movie speaks to that. On the internet, Donnie Darko's cult following is rampant! A simple internet search yields a multitude of fan sites.

Although a search for "Cellar Door" will not bring you here, combining it with the name of the movie, or "Poe" will bring you to a little seed I planted. When I started this blog, I asked folks at an Edgar Allen Poe site if Poe was the "linguist" referred to in the quote from the film. The mystery is long since solved (it wasn't Poe, it was Tolkien) but I continue to get emails notifying me that people are still adding to the thread. Something about "Donnie Darko" just naturally sends people fishing on the internet!

My friends Rykk and Amy out in Louisville are huge fans of the movie as well, with Amy (last I heard) toying with the idea of examining the film in a thesis paper. I can't wait to read it...

This article, should give you hold-outs one last push. Be warned, this reveals key plot pieces. Tell you what, just come over to my place and I'll throw it on the dvd player!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home