Tuesday, December 30, 2003

2003: Sloganless Year


Been looking for a slogan to celebrate the end of 2003...

2003: Not NEARLY as sucky as 2002!

Back from the big holiday jaunt to KY and TN. Blog break was too long. First day back and already had a full day of work. I was the only one there, so I got to run around naked and jam to the KCRW online broadcast (highly recommended to all my midwest friends -- KCRW I mean, not the on-the-job nudity).

2003: Invading other Countries ROCKS!!

Seeing family is always good. But it's the small, remarkable moments that are noteworthy. I played ping-pong with my big sister in her basement. We had not done so since we were both very small. Sadly, it was only in retrospect that I truly appreciated being able to do that...

While the plane landed in Nashville, I did what I always do. Try to see how high you have to be before you can see an actual person on the ground. Next time you're in a plane, give it a try. It's much more difficult than you think. Cars are everywhere. But where are the actual people??

2003: Nope, STILL no Flying Cars

While at my step-mother Bernice's, I made what was probably the best rum and Coke I ever had. I think I have my new drink of choice for 2004.

2003: Year of the Margarita

Speaking of margaritas, I happened upon my pal Jason Acquisto, his wife Sherri, and their baby Anthony while in Owensboro. Yet again, someone witnessed me order a "blended margarita" only to get looks of stymied confusion from a waiter. The same thing happened a few years ago while in Nashville.

"I'd like a blended margarita with salt."

The waiter cocked his head like a dog hearing Bjork. "You mean frozen?"

I surely gave him the same look back as I suddenly envisioned him bringing me a giant salty-lime block of ice in the shape of a bar glass. I'd monitor the melting of my margarita-scicle during dinner, giving it a slurp or two between bites of rice and beans. Maybe I could request they put it in the shape of one of those rocket pops, like the ice cream man sells.

"No, no," I said. "I don't want it frozen. I'd like it blended." I hated to get condescending, but there was no place left to go. "You know, like from a blender."

Add it in with the whole regional soda/coke/pop debate.

To make me look doubly ass-ish, I ended up sending my meal back and ordering something else (an act of restaurant snobbery I've only done twice my life). The waiter was mad at me for the rest of the meal. He returned multiple times and refused to look at me. He offered more beverage to Jason and Sherri.

Hellooo! Sitting here with an empty margarita glass! I don't want another but you could at least ask me!

He walked away. "Geez! He's really mad at you!" said Sherri. It's been several days now and I still feel terrible that he hated me.

Maybe I'm Jewish.

Returned home to find I'd gotten Seabiscuit as a free screener on DVD.

WOOHOOOO!!!

2003: Whew! No Apocalypse!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home