Saturday, March 20, 2004

Tassajara Time



I wondered where it was... and it finally arrived this week. I got my Tassajara registration book in the mail the other day.

Tassajara is a Buddhist monastery in the mountains of California and this will be my 3rd year going. The first year, I was just an average paying guest. Last year I upped the ante and did nearly a week of Guest Practice where I worked for the facility from 5:30am till noon. There are some disadvantages to doing this, but the fellowship of the monks and others working there is just too amazing to pass up.

Everyone in the country world who goes to Tassajara is most definitely pouring over their booklets this weekend, too, and scrambling to figure out when they can go. The place books up fast and everyone has to make first, second, and third choices in order to get in.

The last two years I went the same week in June and so I saw many of the same people (HEY to Ruth, Debra, Robin, and Jennifer!). That was cool, but maybe I want to see the monastery at a different time this year?

Will the creek be more full earlier? Will there be less rattlesnakes and deer flies later? These are all questions for me to obsess about.

Each time I go, Tassajara changes my life in an amazing way. I can't wait for it to do the same again. This is going on year four my life needs an overhaul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home