Thursday, August 12, 2004

Strange Days Indeed!

At work yesterday I pondered the disappearance of a coworker.

"Oh, Lou's been out sick all week," someone said. "She's got that Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease."

She's got what???????

"Yeah, kids get it all the time and she picked it up from her son. It's highly contagious."

Didn't they slaughter a bunch of British cows who came down with that and burn their carcasses? If our company project manager has it, should I be ordering chicken at McDonalds next time?

When it comes to disease names, Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease is pretty over-the-top. I think it's the Hand part that makes it sound so ridiculous. My guess is they had to add "Hand" so that the illness would not be confused with Foot in Mouth Disease, which my grandmother once accused me of having. That story involves an interrogation after a tin of chocolate cupcakes were stolen by burglars. Let's not get into that now...

It's also possible that they wanted all the infected body parts inside the name of the disease, kind of like saying facial herpes. If so, I hope Lou doesn't come down with Hand, Foot, Mouth, and Ass Disease. I think if the disease progresses that far then the medical community should jump to the acronym. HFMAD is much more tasteful.

Yes, yes, strange days!

1 Comments:

Blogger Angelynn said...

You must not be a parent yet. lol Although my son has never had it, my niece has and I heard it not fun....you know....shhhh....I still don't know exactly what it is. haha. But when I sit with the other moms who talk about it I just nod knowingly.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home