Sunday, January 02, 2005

Unconventional New Years Eve



Ah, New Year’s Eve! Eating and drinking with friends… the countdown to midnight… and of course the two hours of silence as you stare at a wall!

Well, that’s the way I rang in the New Year by going to the Green Gulch Zen Center outside of San Francisco. My friend Rig, the LA yoga teacher, was going and had encouraged me to check it out. I had never been to Green Gulch and wish I could have arrived earlier so I could have seen the place before dark. But I got there in time for dinner and was pleased to see some familiar faces from Tassajara, where I go every summer.

Events began with our first “sit” (meditation) in the zendo at about 8pm. For about 90 minutes, I sat with everyone else, staring at the wall watching thoughts go by. Of course I hadn’t meditated for some time, so I did more than watch the thoughts, I participated with them and rode the typical surf of my mind at play: fantasizing about the future and rehashing the past.

At 9:30, we gathered candles and put them in paper boats to set them afloat on the pond while reciting a chant.

Eyes of compassion
observing sentient beings
assemble an ocean of blessings
beyond measure
Unfortunately, the wind and pouring rain proved too much for the tiny flames and after five relightings of my own candle, we were called to the dining hall and abandoned the endeavor. A scant few candles lit up the pond.

In the dining hall, we were served soup with noodles. This was a silent meal and there wasn’t enough seats for everyone so I ate quickly then got up to make room for others. I went outside with Rig to see the sky completely clear and full of stars. The rain was gone!

At 10:30pm, we returned to the zendo and continued meditation. This time I was more disciplined. Relax. Observe. Be. And then at midnight, as my friend Rig rang the bell 108 times…


All my ancient, twisted karma,
From beginningless greed, hate, and delusion.
Born through body, speech and mind,
I now fully avow
We then proceeded to a bonfire where Rig had sneaked in a bottle of champagne. Everyone burned resolutions and cxchanged well-wishes before retiring to bed. (It pays to know people… while all the other guests were crowded in the zendo, I got my own private room!)

After morning meditation, we were led by Zen Center leaders, including Reb Anderson, in a procession to bow at all the altars on the farm. Reb lead us all in a toast of sake, which I wish I could recite here, but I will leave it with: “May all beings be happy…”





This photo is of Fu, Joan, Rig, and me after the toast. I wish I had gotten more pictures, but was afraid photos would be too obtrusive during events.

It was a wonderful way to usher in 2005, which I’m hopeful is going to be a great year for all us humans!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home