Friday, February 25, 2005

Darko Director's Cut DVD Release

Greetings Darko fans and "cellar door" searchers...

While in Tahoe, I noticed USA Today did not one, but two stories about the DVD release of the Donnie Darko Director's Cut. I have yet to bite, but it will be a must purchase for future comparison.

I see the extras include commentary by Kevin Smith of "Clerks" and "Chasing Amy" fame. Kinda perplexing, as I have no idea what relevance Smith will bring to the commentary. Missing from the extras is the (superior, I think) original cut with the audio improvements.

My original review for the Director's Cut is here. Though it is must viewing, I stand by my belief that the Director's Cut overexplains way too much. And the music changes are blasphemy for anyone who fell in love with the original.

For those that can't get enough dissection of the movie's plot, I see that salon.com has a summary and analysis here.

Richard Kelly says he's not interested in doing a sequel. As a writer, I can only imagine that such a sequel would feature a teenage Donnie having slipped through time and showing up at Gretchen, or his sister's door. "Frank says... you're in danger."

Meanwhile, those of us in the know are getting our Mary McDonnel fix over on Battlestar Galactica, easily the best series to ever come out of Sci-Fi Channel.

1 Comments:

Blogger Angelynn said...

Long time no talk! How are you doing?
I've been wanting to watch the Director's cut, but from everything I heard it was better left alone. Such a great film, I am afraid that it may be ruined if I watch the dc and hate it. Silly, I know. Definately no sequal though, leave well enough alone.
Thanks for the compliment on my dog...she's great! Now if only the other dog would let me have a cat...not going to happen!

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home